Hey guys!! I’m back with the first EVER Artist Spotlight featuring one of my FAVORITE Artists!!! I’ve featured his music on a couple of the video blogs and I was so excited to get the opportunity to actually ask him some questions!! The INCOMPARABLE Jon Hope took some time out of his busy schedule to link up with me, and give us some background on him and his upcoming project “Work In Progress”.
I know myself, and a lot of other people are familiar with your music, but what genre would you place your music in?
- That’s an interesting question because I’m definitely rooted in Hip Hop but with an open ended perspective. I’m not a fan of the word ‘genre’ because it feel so controlling. I have done songs w/ singer songwriters to underground lyricists to pop artists. My music is open minded.
How did you get into making music?
- It all started from my love of music. It’s a cliche but oh so true. I just love creating something with a melody and being able to affect people. The idea that 3 minutes can change someone’s life is so swag.
Before you decided to go in to music, what did you want to do for a living?
- I’d probably be a guidance counselor …
Who are your top 5 musical inspirations?
- Life. Mom. Conversation. People Watching. Cashews.
I know you’re a beast with the pen. What inspires you to write music?
- I draw inspiration from everything. It ranges from a chord progression to an elevator ride to the 2nd floor. There’s really no filter when it comes to my thoughts. I recently leaked a record about second hand smoke ‘The Second Hand’ …and funny enough, the people I know who do smoke were loving ittt..
Most of your fans know you’re from Rhode Island, but for those that may not, what was it like growing up there? Could you give us a little bio of yourself?
- Growing up RI was great. It’s the root of me as an artist. I did all the cyphers, open mics, and venues ..It prepared for all the good and bad that life brings. If you ever get the chance you should visit Providence…it’ll change your life haha! The diversity in RI is what I appreciate the most..there are so many sub cultures which influences my music.
How much influence does Rhode Island influence your music?
- It plays a heavy role but I’d say life in general influences my music. I think when you open yourself up to receive ideas from different places there are no limits and Lord knows I hate limits..anything that contains you…
Let’s talk about your upcoming project “Work in Progress”, I know that I cannot wait for it to drop. What can we expect from this album?
- I’m having so much anxiety right now with the album haha! It’s finished and I can’t wait until you hear it…I know that you can expect to get get a better understanding of me as an individual. Its very open and inviting. I’m really proud of myself for being execute every single idea that I had. Sonically, every record is jammin’! There are no fillers..You will be pleasantly surprised with this body of work.
Who are some of the featured artists on “Work in Progress”?
- For those who have been following me you can expect the usual suspects like LJC & Taktix. I also reached out to some talented people like producers Xaviles, Zulu, and Blaze P. As far as features I kept it to a minimum..this project is really my story for you to listen to unfiltered.
What is your favorite track on “Work in Progress” and why?
- You know it changes every day. That’s like asking me who my favorite child is. I would say the track that I feel most connected to right now is a record called ‘Flames’…it’s a song about reviving the human spirit. Lookin within to find motivation when people, especially the close one doubt you.
Thanks again Jon Hope!!! I am SO looking forward to ‘Work In Progress” !!! Hope to have you back some time!!!!
Here’s some other ways to keep up with Mr. Hope’s work!!
‘Work In Progress’ coming soon